Saturday, October 24, 2009

Why do the critics hate the good stuff?

I often wonder who the critics are and what makes them trustworthy? I don't think they have a good history of knowing what shows are going to pull in the audiences. Sometimes I think they love shows that are terribly boring or preachy. I really love it when shows they totally hate pull in big ratings.

Eastwick:

This show is a breath of fresh air. It's not only a show with women as the main characters but they're not suburban with high end jobs talking about their sex lives all of the time. Granted, this show needs more cool occultic things but I think it's trying to paint the background first. At least I hope it is. The women are relatable, funny and mysterious. The critics hate it.

Hank:

Kelsey Grammer has a character who's been knocked off of his high horse by reality and the economy. It's happened to a lot of people who can relate. Why is this show funny? Because it's a modern kind of Green Acres but with a couple of city raised kids too. It could be funnier if they did punch up the country hick setting. We in the audience love some stereotyping. Okay, so this show isn't super duper, but it's still good for a laugh. The critics hate it.

Okay, I'll tell you what shows I can't stand. Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, The Office, Private Practice, Californication, and Nip/Tuck. They're all ludicrous, redundant and have dialogue that makes me want to squirm uncomfortably. The critics love them. I watch one daytime soap opera to get my fill of ludicrous, redundant and sleazy dialogue storylines and that's enough. The 80's are over. How about characters living in the real world for once?

No comments: