Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Summertime, summertime, sum sum summertime

OMG, I'm so sorry I haven't posted in a long time.  Oh well, my hiatus is over and I'm back.  As always, I have been watching the shows.  I have to say, the reality shows are getting a little old and the new ones are getting boring and stupid.  I swear, they pick the dumbest people for these reality competition shows.  I'll do a quick run-down of the summer shows I've tried out or am watching.

There's a mystery show called Whodunnit?  I think they should call it, Who's Dumber?  A group of people try to figure out how a murder was done but w/out the why and who, it's just an hour long show of stupidity.  I thought for sure they'd play the show like the Mole w/ one person being the murderer and killing off the other contestants but nope, they'd never do anything that interesting on TV.  There's a new murder every episode and then the contestants are given clues so blatant a deaf blind person could figure them out in a minute:  poison, nails and 2 holes in the leg, hmmm...  The real mystery of the show is how they figure out who to send home.  Oh and the person who loses for the week is just sent home.  Boring!

Family Game Night is a fun show.  It's literally a show of clever party games w/ 2 teams of stars w/ 1 non-star.  Jane Lynch hosts and she's really funny but quick.  I hate hosts who take up too much time because they talk slow.  I like to see that the stars really try their best.  It's hilarious to note who's really good at party games like Alison Hannigan or Kristen Bell.  Ever wonder how good stars are at charades?  You'll find out if you watch this show.  Too much fun!

The Challenge is back w/ the show being called Rivals II.  They really should call it enemies.  Most of the couples can't stand each other but I admire them for sucking it up and working together through the games.  CT is back and didn't get kicked off the very first show.  I loved that the only unfit person on the show was eliminated w/ his partner the very first show.  The twist this season is that the girls choose the men's team to go up against the losers of the challenge, into the elimination game and vice versa.  This time, the women have a shot at eliminating the strong men's teams who can beat them in the finale.  Interesting.  I love this show and not because of all the fighting, but despite it.

Redneck Island has a group of savvy women.  As usual, they're not that deprived and were actually winning a lot of food in the beginning of the season but as they've eliminated their strong players, they're losing the food challenges which is kind of funny.  They've also included a couple of challenges that have an immediate ouster for the loser.  That has upset the applecart a couple of times but really makes the game interesting.  It seems the Rednecks are less friendly to each other but civil.  It makes the show look less fake that way.  This show is just fun to watch whether the rednecks are playing a game or not.

Another new show is Supermarket Star.  OMG, this show is so dumb.  It has 3 contestants presenting a product, getting critique and advice, tweeking the product and then trying to sell it to some executive.  Stacy Keibler is the host which is good cuz now that she's split from George Clooney, she has to actually work.  The panel of 3 celeb judges (Mrs. Fields, Michael Chiarello and some other guy) do give good critique and advice but the contestants rarely listen.  I think the producers wanted people w/ big egos but it just makes the people look stupid.  In the end, I thought, Eh, there's a 1000 products like that and I wouldn't buy it.  This show deserves to be ignored.

MasterChef is back and as usual, big egos reign.  How come all of the contestants say, "I'm going to be the next Masterchef."?  They all sound like egotistical jerks and when they show their cooking is crappy they look like total morons.  This season there's a couple of villains, a couple of schmucks, a couple of innocent wide eyed does and a good crop of men who can cook.  I don't make this show a huge priority because all of the challenges are pretty much the same as before and I'm sick to death of the judges:  Ramsey, Graham Bowles and Lydia's son.  Lydia's son must've had a talking to because he's much less of an ass-hole this season.  Hearing who's eliminated via the facebook page is good enough for me.  I hope a guy wins for once.

Project Runway is back and a lot of the contestants have a common theme.  They're really innovative and use odd materials.  OMG, there's one really weird guy who insists he wants to be natural, sustainable and creative.  He doesn't want to use electricity, man made or original fabrics and doesn't let his model use any products like makeup or hair stuff.  Good luck w/ that.  I'm waiting to see when he cracks or when his model goes ballistic.  Hee hee hee.  I was disappointed to not see Swatch in the first episode.  They should have him on screen every episode.  Tim Gunn is going to have more input in the final elimination decision.  I think that's good because sometimes the judges aren't told that the designer made another design, judged it to be crappy and made this look in 2 hours.  Also, there's no such thing as too much Tim Gunn.  That guy gets cooler every season.  I was very surprised to find the judges liked the design I liked in the first episode.  Wow!  Maybe I'm learning good taste and style. 

The Next Foodnetwork Star is back.  This is the worst bunch of candidates I've ever seen.  Three of the most likeable guys were already eliminated but even though they could cook and were fun, they couldn't give a clear concept of their cooking theme and that's the kiss of death in this competition.  There was one skinny chick who was literally repulsive on screen.  She stayed way longer than she should have.  One lady was a past contestant on Hell's Kitchen and couldn't cook then either.  She had a redemption episode where she won a chance to return to the competition, after being eliminated, and was kicked out again the very same episode.  Hilarious!  There's one lady who has a good concept and is so comfortable in front of the camera I can't see her losing.  She reminds me a lot of Sarah Moulton.

Hell's Kitchen is almost done w/ it's season.  It's been good w/ its usual villains, dummies and standouts. It's down to 1 white guy w/ huge ear guages, 1 black girl who can really cook and 1 white lady who has an annoying voice in the kitchen.  The chefs mind the annoying voiced lady just to shut her up so she does run the kitchen pretty well.  It'll be interesting to see who wins.  Last season a girl won so it's the men's turn to win.  We'll see.

Foodcourt Wars is a new show on the Foodnetwork.  2 teams of entrepreneurial cooks try to win a foodcourt restaurant that comes rent free for a year.  Tyler Florence hosts.  I have to say, it sounds fun but it's not.  It's boring.  Exactly the same things happen each episode w/ each team making the same mistakes.  I found the really boring part was watching the cooks come up w/ dishes.  The food doesn't sound new or innovative and it takes forever for them to come up w/ mac and cheese and salad.  Ugh, it's like watching morons adding 2 and 2 together.  You want to walk over to them, smack them in the head and shout, "4!"   The food that gets the most compliments loses.  Yeah, I only watch when I'm totally bored and absolutely nothing else is on.

American Ninja Warrior is back w/ the preliminaries happening.  It's nice to see the courses are new and more female friendly.  I thought it was unfair they'd have a log drop that the women couldn't even grasp or get their arms around because they were shorter than the guys.  Also the trampoline leaps are shorter so that the lighter people can actually make it.  I'm happy to see some women are actually getting past the first 2 obstacles.  They do the usual competitor profiles which are shorter this year and they show more wipeouts.  It's much better.  I'm glad to tune in every week.

America's Got Talent is back w/ 4 judges.  Heidi Klum and Spice Girl Brown have joined the Howards.  I'm not watching.  I did watch for about 15 minutes and found the talents were the same, the singers were worse than ever and the judges were too thinned out in time so you really didn't hear much from them.  I'm glad I'm not watching because America's got no  taste anyway.

There are even more reality shows on like So You Think You Can Dance, American Baking Competition and others.  Wow, I can't believe there are so many and it's only Summer.  Top Chef Masters starts this week and I'm excited for that.

Well, that's about it.  I hope I can post more often but things have picked up in my real life so we'll see.  Until then, everybody.  Stay tuned!






No comments: